Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chrissie's Surgery

My last few months have been spent with anticipation, hope, worry, and so many other emotions and thoughts tucked in the back of mind. We (my husband, daughter, and I) made the decision for Chrissie, my daughter, to have surgery to help her legs so she could walk better. This is a blessing! Although this is a very positive thing, it doesn't make the anxiety of it any easier. It is a great blessing that the problem she has with her legs and her walk can be repaired. How great would it be if there was a solution to everyone's disability, illness, or issue, a fix... In that aspect of things, we are extremely fortunate. We thank God for that.

So much time went into research, and preparing her for the upcoming challenges she would face. She took it all in and embraced it. She has seriously been the strongest, bravest, most wonderful child through all of this. I have been so inspired by her! I am the Mama to one amazing little girl, somewhat fearless it seems. She understands what she has to do and she isn't afraid to do it!

The surgery, bilateral femoral derotational osteotomy, was preformed on April 11th.

The week prior to this we spent figuring out what we would need, what to be prepared for, explaining details, concerns, fears, and comforting each other. Lots of emotion to say the least!
Tuesday night, April 10th we all went to bed and when the alarm went off, (the day I had stressed over and tucked into my mind for months has arrived!!!) I immediately jumped up in tears and ran to the bathroom so no one would see my moment of weakness. I have felt many emotions and she didn't need me to expose all that. She noticed though and told me it was okay for me to cry and be the chicken, cause she wasn't gonna do it! LOL! WoW! Guess I'm not too good at hiding my feelings! I told her I would take on the job of worrying and stressing out and she could be worry free, she agreed happily and laughed! We had already packed up so now it was time to get dressed, get into the car, and get on the way!

We arrive at the time we we're told to get there (my plan wasn't to be too early because I didn't want Chrissie sitting around the hospital with all the anticipation of what was going to occur soon), but due to someone's scheduling mistake, we ended up waiting for quite sometime. I was told to arrive at 11:45, so we were a few minutes early for registration and all. They call us back to check vitals and then ask us "Why are you so early?" I explain that I was told to arrive at this time, then they realize that they are the ones who messed up! The O.R. wasn't scheduled until 2:45!!! What! Are you kidding me? I have a nervous, hungry child and we have to wait 3 more hours! Yep, we sure did. We did puzzles, colored and other activities to pass the time until the time arrived.

We go back to put on the dreaded hospital wear (my daughter says she is going to create fashionable hospital wear one day) and Chrissie gets upset, she has her moment. Who can blamer her? We console and comfort her and each other, and then it's time to go back. Originally when I had spoke with the pre-care nurses, anesthesioloists, and the surgeon they had told us we could be with her until she went to sleep. This was not the case, so Chrissie got upset again, but then she pulled herself together and went on down that hall to do what she needed to do. I fell to pieces, my heart was broken for her. This is so much for a child to go through. I said another prayer and went into the waiting room to wait for the next 3 hours. The longest three hours of my life... I could not wait to be back with my baby again (I am aware she is 10, she is still my baby). The doctor came into the waiting room and told me how great she did! I was so proud of her and of him, so hugs for everyone!!! :)

We then go to recovery of course, then up to her room! SHE DID IT!

So, she doesn't like the hospital room any better than the ugly hospital gown, and she just wants to go home. She got a little upset, which was expected, she had been through so much! She then slept alot and did so great! The little patient who constantly smiles! She exceeded everyone's expectations in all aspects! We stayed for two nights, then we came home!

Yay! We're home!
The outpouring of love has been tremendous! When we arrived home she had 22 cards waiting for her in the mailbox, and before we ever got home, her wonderful cousin Beth Willett called and offered her an Ipod touch 4! She was so thrilled! Thank you to all you wonderful, generous, considerate, caring people! God Bless You All! We <3 you with all of our hearts!

She has done great with pain and being stuck between the bed and a wheelchair and is doing so wonderfully! She can't bear any weight whatsoever for 8 weeks! That is quite a long time, especially for a kid. So far, so good!

She just amazes me!!! :)

Updates to come! Keep prayers coming for recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment